The new draft of the MSWiA. Foreigners who want to come to Poland will be obliged to have funds for return.

Foreigners who, for example, are looking for a job, doing business or studying in Poland, will need to have between PLN 200 and PLN 2,500 to cover the cost of return travel – says the draft regulations of the Ministry of Interior and Administration, included in the Government Legislation Center.

The draft regulations concern foreigners who in the territory of the Republic of Poland:

  • intend to take or continue to study, conduct research or develop research; they are graduates of Polish universities or have completed research or development works; use the mobility of a long-term scientist;

  • looking for a job or planning to start a business in Poland;
  • do internships or perform services as a volunteer.

Draft regulations stipulate that the minimum amount of funds that a regulated foreign national must have to cover the costs of return travel to the country of origin or residence or the cost of transit to a third country which will grant permission for entry is:

  • PLN 200 if he came from a neighboring country with the Republic of Poland;
  • PLN 500, if it came from a Member State of the European Union, not adjacent to the Republic of Poland or from a member state of the European Free Trade Agreement (EFTA) – parties to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or the Swiss Confederation.
  • PLN 2,500 if it came from a country other than those specified in points 1 and 2 – or the equivalent of these amounts in foreign currency.

A foreigner who has come to the territory of the Republic of Poland or stays in this territory together with family members who are dependent on him must also have financial means to cover the costs of return travel or transit costs of each family member in the amounts specified above.

Among the documents that can confirm the possibility of obtaining financial means by all categories of foreigners, the regulations mention: a traveler’s check, a credit card limit issued by a bank that issued a credit card, a certificate of cash in a bank or a savings and credit union with headquarters territory of Poland.

Depending on the foreigner’s category, the following documents will also be accepted: certificate of employment and amount of earnings or a document confirming the granting of a national or foreign scholarship.

In the opinion of the Ministry of Interior and Administration, the entry into force of draft ordinances will not affect the sector of micro-, small and medium-sized enterprises.